One of the most exciting developments in recent years in the arena of data exchange is the evolution of XML (Extensible Markup Language). Without doubt XML is revolutionising the world of data exchange.
XML provides a relatively simple, yet most effective, means of presenting data. XML documents are “self-defining” – allowing infinite flexibility in the design and construction of data interchanges.
FCL’s XML Parse Engine provides the ability to extract data elements from any XML document. Parsed data can then subsequently be manipulated as required through a variety of other interfaces.
This optional module can be used to complement our other EDI solutions, providing an “open interface”, which facilitates data exchange between trading partners. It delivers a means of exchanging information electronically, without tying any party to any particular EDI message standard. An “open interface” of this type dramatically simplifies the implementation of data exchange solutions, thus substantially reducing costs.
Moreover, the XML Parse Engine can also be used to map data to/from other EDI formats such as EDIFACT, ANSI and CSV. As an integrated “native” mapping tool, it thus completely eliminates the need for FCL’s customers to invest in any 3rd-party mapping products. Once again, this can substantially reduce the costs and maintenance overheads that are often associated with the implementation of “traditional” EDI interfaces.
- Any “well-formed” XML document can be accepted
- Also supports EDIFACT, ANSI and CSV message formats
- XML documents are automatically processed by the ForwardOffice EDI Message Manager daemon
- Incorporating full error checking and auditing, data is parsed from each XML document and placed into a holding area
- Invalid or syntactically incorrect messages are rejected and a nominated user automatically notified of failure
- Full support provided for “repeating groups”
- XML-to-FCL EDI message mapping tools provide an interface to Customer and Partner EDI for Job bookings
- Also provides an interface to Customer and Partner EDI for Job Status updates
- Also integrated with ForwardVision for exchange of Order information
- Integrated with Event Management, providing automated output of XML-based EDI messages
- Message mapping “rules” are defined by the end-user negating the need for bespoke development or third party mapping software
- Allows different mapping rules to be defined for each Trading Partner and message type
- Comprehensive “data conversion toolbox” allows manipulation of parsed data during the message mapping process
- Includes facility to concatenate multiple parsed data items and map to one output